Records of Murdoch & Murray, shipbuilders, Port Glasgow and Dumbarton, Scotland
Reference Number: GB 248 UGC 038
Held at: Glasgow University Archive Services
Name of Creator: Murdoch & Murray (shipbuilders : 1874-1923 : Port Glasgow and Dumbarton, Scotland)
Scope and Content
Costs books c1877-1925
Costs sheets 1901-1923
Records of payments c1896-1921
Miscellaneous cash & note books 1892-1944
Clyde Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd cost books c1918-1922
Administrative / Biographical History
Henry Murray commenced shipbuilding in Port Glasgow , Scotland, in 1866 or 1867 at the Kingston Yard , later known as the Brown Street shipyard. Ships were built there until vessel no.114 and then at Sandpoint, Dumbarton, Scotland, until Murray went out of business in 1883.
Henry's original business was known as Henry Murray & Co from 1880. He was a partner in two other firms, Murdoch & Murray at the Glen Yard, Port Glasgow in 1874 and Murray Brothers , in Dumbarton in 1883. Murray Brothers only built sixteen small ships and closed down in 1890, their goodwill being taken over by Murdoch & Murray .
Murdoch & Murray was reformed as the Port Glasgow Shipbuilding Co in 1912 and remained in business until ship no.304 in 1923. The company was eventually taken over by Lithgows Ltd , shipbuilders and repairers, Port Glasgow.