Lamonts

James Lamont & Co, Ship Builders and Repairers, Greenock, was founded in 1870 and operated from the Dock Breast. They leased the East India Drydock, later building another. In 1925, the firm was incorporated as a private limited company, James Lamont & Co Ltd, at the same time absorbing the boiler making and engineering business of Andrew Turner Lamont, Greenock.

In 1929, the Castle Works at Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, formerly owned by Clyde Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, were acquired. Shipbuilding commenced at these works from around 1946, but they were closed in 1980. Between 1946 and 1978 some 78 ships were built by the company mostly consisting of coasters, tugs, small ferries, dredgers and sludge carriers.

The ship-repairing works at Greenock however, survived until 1989 when they too were forced to close.

 
Records of James Lamont & Co Ltd, shipbuilders and repairers, Greenock, Inverclyde, Scotland
Reference Number: GB 248 UGD 140
Held at: Glasgow University Archive Services
Dates of Creation: 1907-1981
Physical Extent: 24.2 metres There are no physical characteristics or technical requirements that affect the use of this material.
Name of Creator: James Lamont & Co Ltd (ship builders and repairers: 1925-c1989: Greenock, Inverclyde, Scotland)

Publication: Glasgow University Archive Services, 10 July 2002
Scope and Content
This material is currently being re-listed. Where available, covering dates for series of records have been given.

Order books 1955-1980
Job books
Estimates 1929-1978
Correspondence 1943-1975
Ship files 1947-1978
Ship plans 1932-1974 (ship nos. 367-445)
Yard plans 1907-1974
Memorandum and articles of association 1925
Minute books
Annual reports
Registers of directors and members
Board reports
Board correspondence
Private ledgers
Journals; cash books
Nominal accounts
Sales records
Purchase books
Materials books 1947-1978
Dock records
Technical records
Launch records c1946-1978
Photographs
Publicity materials
Calendars
Personnel records 1947-1981
Administrative / Biographical History
James Lamont & Co , ship builders and repairers, Greenock, Inverclyde, Scotland, was founded in 1870. In 1925, the firm was incorporated as a private limited company, James Lamont & Co Ltd , at the same time absorbing the boiler making and engineering business of Andrew Turner Lamont, Greenock. In 1929, the Castle Works at Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, formerly owned by Clyde Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, were acquired. Shipbuilding commenced at these works from around 1946, but they were closed in 1980. The ship-repairing works at Greenock however, survived until 1989 when they too were closed.

Ritchie, L A (ed) The Shipbuilding Industry: A guide to Historical Records (Manchester, 1992)
 
Group of Lamonts workers - Bill Fraser back left
Comments