Greenock Dockyard Co

The period from 1918 to 1966 when the Greenock Dockyard was owned by The Clan Line Steamers Ltd of Glasgow saw one of the greatest shipbuilder/owner associations in British shipyard history, producing some 65 Clan Line cargo-liners. The Cartsdyke Mid Yard had been purchased from Russell & Co in 1900 by the Grangemouth Dockyard Co, which then amended its name to the Grangemouth & Greenock Dockyard Co.. In its early days the yard was more commonly known as the ‘klondyke’ yard, in reference to the then recent Alaskan gold rush of 1894. William Burrell ordered 20 tramps in a time of slump from five Port Glasgow and Greenock yards in 1906 including eight from the Dockyard all with ‘Strath’ names. In 1908 the company recognised the importance of the larger berths at Greenock, and reversed the yard names in the title, becoming the Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co. Ltd. In 1918 the yard was purchased by Cayzer, Irvine & Co Ltd., owners and managers of the Clan Line Steamers Ltd of Glasgow with services to India and South Africa, and went on to build some 65 Clan Line cargo-liners starting with the Clan Alpine in 1918. In 1920 Lord Cayzer changed the name of the yard to the Greenock Dockyard Co. Ltd. Between 1931 – 1935 the yard closed – Depression. In 1934 it exchanged the Cartsdyke Mid Yard with the Cartsdyke East yard of Scott's and continued building for the Clan Line. During the War the yard completed ten cargo-liners for the Clan Line. After the war the yard continued to build for this company and the Union-Castle Line. The Cartsdyke East yard was modernised between 1958 and 1964 with the provision of two raised concrete crane piers at the sides of the two widened berths, instead of the previous three. The last two ships built by the yard while still owned by the British & Commonwealth Shipping Group (Clan Line & Union-Castle Line). The yard was taken over by Scott's in 1966.